Monday, June 30, 2014
Monday, June 23, 2014
Come support your Local Job's Daughters as they are installed into Grand and Grand Bethel Offices for the 2014-2015 year!
Kristie Horn, (mother of Alexis Horn) Past Royal Matron of Arago Court #31 Order of the Amaranth, and PHQ of Bethel #15 in Coquille Oregon, Majority Member of Bethel #17 in Coos Bay Oregon, Past Bethel Guardian of Bethel #17 in Coos Bay Oregon, and Recipient to the Degree of Royal Purple will be installed as the Grand Guardian (pending GGC election on The installation will be an open Formal installation at at the Red Lion Hotel on Market Street in Salem Oregon.).
(Laura Jo Hofsess is the late Grandmother of Alexis Horn, and mother of Kristie Horn and was also a majority member of Bethel #17 Coos Bay Oregon, Past Bethel Guardian of Bethels #15 and 68, and Recipient to the Degree of Royal Purple.)
Next year, Grand Session will be held in Coos Bay/North Bend, Oregon from.
Bro. Daniel Carter Beard was born on June 21, 1850 in Cincinnati, Ohio. In his youth, his family moved to 322 E. 3rd Street in Covington, Kentucky where Beard loved exploring the banks of the nearby Ohio River and the Banklick Creek region south of Covington. It was during these explorations, that Beard developed his great love for nature and outdoors living.
In 1882, Bro. Beard wrote The American Boy’s Handy Book, a book which gives instructions and advice on animals, outdoors, knots, tents, fishing and more (and is still in print today).
Bro. Beard was raised a Master Mason in Mariners’ Lodge #67 New York City and later became a member of Cornucopia Lodge #563 Flushing, NY.
In 1905, Beard founded the “Sons of Daniel Boone,” an outdoor education and exploration program for young men. Boys were organized into “forts,” uniforms were based on the outfits of frontiersmen and in place of ranks or advancement, boys earned notches and top notches for achievements in a variety of interest areas. This group grew to become the largest boy’s club in America.
The “Sons of Daniel Boone” developed into “The Boy Pioneers” in 1905. In 1910, Bro. Beard merged his organization into the fledgling Boy Scouts of America and became one of the first National Commissioners, serving Scouting for 30 years. He later became the editor of Boys' Life magazine, the BSA official magazine, and wrote a monthly column for youth. He received the only gold Eagle badge ever awarded.
Bro. Beard founded Boy Scouts Troop 1 in Flushing, New York, which is believed to be one of the oldest continuously chartered Boy Scout Troop in the United States.
To the scouts that knew him, he was “Uncle Dan”. But Bro. Beardfirst created a name for himself as an author and illustrator and was chosen to illustrate Mark Twain’s (Bro. Samuel Clemans, Polarar Star Lodge No. 79, Missouri) A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court in 1889.
Bro. Beard died on June 11, 1941, shortly before his 91st birthday at his home (named "Brooklands") in Suffern, New York. He was buried near his home at the Brick Church Cemetery in Spring Valley, New York. The National Program Director of the Boy Scouts of America, and founder of the Order of the Arrow (1915), Bro. Dr. E. Urner Goodman (Lamberton Masonic Lodge 487 of Philadelphia), was selected to be in charge of the beloved youth leader's funeral in Suffern. An estimated 2,000 people lined the funeral route to the cemetery in Monsey, New York, where 127 Boy Scouts formed an honor guard and assisted with traffic control.
The Daniel Carter Beard Bridge spanning the Ohio River and connecting I-471 in northern Kentucky to I-71 in Ohio was named in his honor and dedicated in 1981.
Freemasons in the U.S. offer the Daniel Carter Beard Masonic Scouter Award for Masons who are involved with Scouting.
Mount Dan Beard, a 10,082-foot (3,073 m) peak in the Alaska Range near Mount McKinley in Denali National Park and Preserve, is named after Bro. Beard.
Sunday, June 8, 2014
Notice of Meetings & Events for
June July August 2014
Shrine Club Business Meeting –
Meeting begins at at Coney Station Restaurant.
Shrine Grove Association Meeting – Meeting begins at or immediately after the regular business meeting at Coney Station Restaurant.
Social Meeting –
Coney Station Restaurant. Oasis begins at with the dinner and the meeting beginning at . All Shriners, their Ladies and guests are invited.
The Coos County Shrine Club will be Dark in July and August – No Business or Social Meetings
All Masonic Picnic – At Sturdavant Park in Coquille hosted by Myrtle Lodge. All Masonic organizations including Masons, Shriners, Eastern Star, Amaranth, Jobs Daughters, DeMolay and Rainbow Girls and their guests are welcome. The horseshoe competition begins at 541-751-1226.. Lunch served at . For questions call Rich Kahl at
Hillah Shriners Oriental Band
The Band plans to participate in the following parades during the summer months:
- White Cedar Days Parade – July 3rd in Powers
- North Bend July Jubilee Parade – July 19th in North Bend
- Coos County Fair Parade – July 26th in Myrtle Point
Thursday, June 5, 2014
Former CTV news director Burce Hogle received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Alberta