140 year of Shriners

140 year of Shriners

Monday, July 18, 2011

Teen goes from paralysis to soccer MVP

AURORA - A teenager is making moves on the soccer field after being told he would never walk again.
"They told us I was never gonna walk again," said Reyes, a junior at Hinkley High School in Aurora. "That was hard for me."
In April of 2009, Reyes was boating with some friends at Cherry Creek State Park. He dove in head first into a shallow area.
"The first second  I dived, I broke my neck and I couldn't move," said Reyes. "I thought I was gonna die. That was the first thing I thought."
He went through six hours of emergency surgery. He remained in a coma for two weeks. But, his mother, Brenda Nataran, said she never lost hope.
"At first, I was scared. But, I believe in God. I have faith in God, that something is going to happen," said Nataran in Spanish with her son interpreting.
Something did happen. His family had no health insurance. They had no money. But, they found The Shriners organization.
For Video go to

No comments: