140 year of Shriners

140 year of Shriners

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Great Story- what's in like in you town?

Pardon me, but do you have the time?

Friday, August 28, 2015

Spare Time... Who has that luxury these days?
So, do you have the time?
There are a lot of people that are too busy, genuinely, to donate time away from their young and always busy families. But there are others, who might have some kids moving on to college and out on their own, and suddenly find themselves having some spare time. You can only go to Walmart and Orscheln's and wander around so many times before that becomes pointless.
Volunteering, aside of your job, provides you a sense of purpose, that most don't realize until they experience it. You just have to find something that fits you, and take a swing at it.
I think most would agree, unless you grew up in a home with someone who belonged to a Civic Organization such as the Moose or the Elks, or the Civitan, etc., you really don't know what they are all about. Don't be fooled "if you think the only thing Shriners - those guys in those odd-looking, tasseled, red hats in your local Independence Day Parade - do is ride around in tiny cars, you really need the Shriner Primer," quoted directly from the http://www.kosair.com/shriners.html. But I have read enough articles in our papers to understand that most of these organizations/clubs do wonderful things in the community.
The article about what one local business woman did in a cemetery was awesome! I am so happy to hear about someone coming up with their own community projects. We don't all have the spare time or the courage to create and lead a project, but two hands are better then one. She pulled in several volunteers and made a difference. Thank you for that!
So... there are some weeks where I have many hours of spare time, and some weeks where I don't have enough time to go through my mail even. You get my point? I started volunteering about a year ago for an organization that works with our local children. I wouldn't say I have a lot of spare time. I am a mom with one very active child in high school. I also have one that now lives on his own an hour from home. Ten years ago, my spare time gas tank was always on empty. But recently, I felt a calling to start helping other children out. I find time and donate it and feel good about what little I do. There are others who make my small effort look invisible, but together, we are all getting things accomplished.
And that's all you have to do -- what you can do. Maybe you consider what you do for the local schools volunteering, and yes, that most certainly is. Thank you! But I'm talking about when you're suddenly sitting around and one by one, the kids are moving on and out.. your hands will become idle. And you know what they say about idle hands. One day, it just hit me, what am I going to do with all this spare time?
I was recently surprised when I read in the paper that the Linton Rotary Club disbanded their organization. But because they aren't getting members they found it impossible to continue. Another organization is struggling with membership, the Linton Civitan Club. Saturday they are going to hold their regular meeting to decide how do they go forward, if they do.
Many would probably donate time, if they knew how to, where to, when to and why. The local organizations are so vague to me that I don't even know what to call their local "group," a chapter, an organization, a club? I have no idea what these organizations are and the rules for membership and who they benefit. What they do and how often they do it.
When they shut down the Rotary, that got me thinking. Do you have to own a business to be in Rotary? I thought yes, but I was wrong. I used to work for Angell's Food Center for many years. It was there I first heard of the organization "Rotary." I really never knew the rules of membership, or qualifications. But I googled it and found that they use to do the annual 4-H Hot Dog Cookout, Jonah Fish Fries. They are a worldwide organization.
Then soon after, I heard about Linton Civitan projects. Surely we have all seen, if not can still hear, the bell ringers freezing their bums off, ringing that loud and ear ringing bell around the holidays? That's the Civitan organization. They do Toys for Tots, Clothe a Child program, the Civitan Ham Breakfast at the Firehouse for the 4th of July Parade and many other things. I could go on and on, after I google some more examples, but that's just it, I'm 40ish and I had to google most of these organizations because there are so many here locally and yet I was completely unaware.
Surprises me really, that they aren't maintaining the memberships to keep on going. How can that happen, and why?? Some of us don't have the time, some of us don't know enough about them. Example, I thought you have to live in the city of Linton to be in the Linton Civitan - Ha, I was wrong again. The Civitan might not tickle your fancy, but if you're slightly curious, they meet on Saturday mornings in the Greene County Hospital cafeteria bright and early, 7:30 a.m. for breakfast, meeting at 8 a.m. Maybe just hear what they have to say, I bet you recognize a face or two.
I'm not trying to highlight any one specific organization, or throw shade on the other, but there are so, so many in this county, even off the radar that go anonymously unnoticed. I searched out Linton Civitan in the paper's search engine and along with the Civitan I had a quick review of all the ways we can get involved. Still, I realize we have many stages in life. Some of us work way too much, some of us are raising young families and fight to have the 20 minutes at the supper table every night just to be together. But some of us are at a point where we are tired of watching the reruns of the Andy Griffith Show. By the way, I think I have seen them all. Barney just cracks me up and even Aunt B was involved in Mayberry community projects.
So by the way, do you have the time? I certainly hope so. Find something that interests you and casually swing in for a meeting. If you don't feel the pull, try another one. With all our hands together, we can make many positive changes right here in Greene County.

No comments: