140 year of Shriners

140 year of Shriners

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Shrine Drive in Circles

Copy the Following link and ckeck out this U-Tube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIZl5blfxs

DaneTube: The Shriners drive around in circles
Submitted by Jesse Russell on Mon, 2007-08-20 12:09. Film

Last week was like a blur for me and I can't remember if it was Wednesday or Thursday that I stumbled upon the Shriners Parade around the Capitol. (Madison, Wi.)

It was my first time witnessing a full Shriners Parade and the event struck me as slightly surreal. They marched and drove around the Capitol in little vehicles, vintage cars, and on large floats. Each head was capped with a fez (except for the clowns and those on the Viking and the "Oriental" floats).
It dawned on me that I was completely ignorant as to what the Shriners do. I knew they were some how related to the Masons and drove little cars at parades.

The Shriners actually have a long and interesting history and based on what I saw Wednesday or Thursday they hold on tightly to tradition.

Check out the wikipedia entry on the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and watch my two minute montage of Shriners driving around in circles.

No comments: