140 year of Shriners

140 year of Shriners

Monday, August 25, 2008

Boring Oregon Toy Run Dec.2008

MegTheMog's Avatar MegTheMog LXDeathUsher iTrader: (0) May 2008
Location: Boring, Oregon.

MegTheMog .........If I were a chicken, I'd be impeccableMegTheMog .........If I were a chicken, I'd be impeccable
PDX Shriners Toy Run?
Do we have LX toy runs for the NW region?
If we don't....would anyone be interested in going up to Shriners in PDX with me come December?

My kiddo has been going to Shriners since he was 4 months old (he is 6 now)
He was born with club foot. His pediatrician scheduled an appointment for him at Doernbechers..so up we went..
The doctor was in the room long enough to say "Yes...he has club foot. He will have to be casted every 2 weeks...he will have to undergo surgery...and we will most likely be seeing him around every 2 weeks until he is 12 or 13..."
I asked how much each appointment was...and he replied "Between 250 to 350, depending on what we have to do"
I went home and balled my eyes out. How would I ever be able to afford that? It seemed so bleak.
Then I heard about Shriners. I took the kiddo up there...had a sit down with a doctor..and prepared myself for the worst.

My son was in casts for dang near the first 3 years of his life...and when he wasn't in casts...they made him braces. He has had 2 surgeries..and his surgeon is one of the best in the world.

It cost us...nothing. Not a penny.
They are privately funded. No help from the government...just donations from kind people.
They are absolute angels. Godsends, if you will. Around the holidays when the kids go up for appointments or surgeries...they are all given christmas presents...toys, books, arts and crafts materials...to make their stay a bit more awesome.

So back to the original thought (sorry, I get to rambling) is anyone interested in a bit of holiday cheer? If we did it toward the evening time, we could all caravan to PIR for the light display afterwords.
Any takers?

No comments: