140 year of Shriners

140 year of Shriners

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Luke Bryan Gives Props to Fans for CMT Win and Donation to Shriners Hospital for Children


by Vernell Hacket
Luke BryanLuke Bryan charges that his fans have been "moving my cards around." The singer made the statement after receiving the award for USA Weekend Breakthrough Video of the Year for 'Do I' at the ninth annual CMT Awards on Wednesday night.

"It's bizarre, but it's so fun having the fans dictate this," Luke said during a press conference backstage after his win. "I said it after the ACM Awards this spring, the fans are changing my life day in and day out. I've been playing every weekend, watching the crowds grow, watching them having a great time around us. I don't want 2010 to end at this point in the game, but we have a few more months left to go on it."

Luke is also thrilled that due to his winning the video award, the Shriners Hospitals for Children will receive a check from CMT. The music channel makes a donation to the favorite charity of each winner from the awards show. The Shriners hospitals are dedicated to improving the lives of children through providing specialty pediatric care, research and teaching programs. Children up to age 18 can receive help from one of the 22 hospitals in the network, regardless of financial need.

"This is the charity that my wife and I want to be affiliated with," Luke said. "We have one child and there is another one on the way, and when you have children, you understand that a kid's life can change on a dime. The Shriners can help make the lives of these children better. I've always wanted to support the work of these hospitals, so I'm glad to be a part of it now."

Luke believes the video for 'Do I' was a change of pace for him, helping fans see him in a more serious light. "I remember phone calls going back and forth with [video director] Shaun Silva and his wife, Shannon, along the lines of creating a little movie. When you make something like that and it turns into this, it makes the whole experience even more special."

Luke planned to celebrate his win by getting together with friends and fans. "My fan club party is Thursday, so I'll get to celebrate with the people who helped me make it all happen. I'm really looking forward to getting out and having a good time."

Luke won't get to spend much time celebrating in Nashville. Friday (June 11) finds him back on tour with Sugarland, making a stop in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Saturday he'll be in Scranton, Pa.

No comments: